If you are not a native English speaker, you will need to demonstrate English proficiency in order to be eligible for our English-taught programmes. Similarly, for Dutch-taught programmes, all non-native Dutch speakers should demonstrate sufficient proficiency.
Students must be able to read textbooks, understand lectures, take part in classroom discussions and produce written work in English or Dutch (depending on the programme language). Non-native speakers of English are required to submit a valid English test score. The test must have been taken less than two years before the start date of the programme.
Minimum test scores
|UvA approved tests||Selective programmes (minimum score)||All other programmes (minimum score)|
|IELTS||7 (subscores: 6,5)||6.5 (subscores: 6)|
|92 (subscores: 22)|
|Cambridge C1 Advanced||Level C1: 190||Level C1: 180|
The following applicants are exempted from the English test:
- Dutch VWO diploma holders;
- Dutch four-year HBO degree certificate holders;
- Applicants with previous education from the countries on this list
- Native English speakers (those who have obtained their diploma in Australia, Canada (with the exception of Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States of America)
- Applicants that have or will obtain a French Diplôme du Baccalauréat Général with the Option Internationale du Baccaluréat (OIB), section britannique/américaine
- Applicants that have or will obtain an International Baccalaureate
- Applicants that have or will obtain a European Baccalaureate with English as first or second language (minimum result: 6)
Applicants with a Dutch HBO-propaedeutic diploma can check their eligibility on this web page.
Please note that the entry requirements for Selective programmes may vary. Visit the programme page for more information.
Taking your English language test
- Take enough time to prepare for the test.
- Remember to take the test before the application deadline. The deadline for providing the UvA with an English language test certificate with sufficient scores for non-selective Bachelor's programmes is: 1 April 2022 for non-EU/EEA applicants, and 1 May 2022 for EU-EEA applicants. Make sure to book your test at least one month before the deadline. We cannot accept applications without English proficiency test results (if required).
- If your score is insufficient, you can do a resit before the application deadline. However, you cannot be admitted to a programme if your test scores do not meet our requirements.