For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
Bekijk de site in het Nederlands

Information for Chinese applicants

Nuffic Certificate

Chinese nationals wishing to study in the Netherlands must register at Nuffic (Netherlands Organization for International Cooperation in Higher Education) to obtain the Certificate. For more information please see the Nuffic website.

What is a Nuffic Certificate?

A Nuffic Certificate is a document providing an assessment of the student's English language proficiency and the authenticity of educational degrees and diplomas required to enter a Dutch institution of higher education.

This ensures that Chinese students are sufficiently qualified to pursue their studies and benefit from their stay in the Netherlands. (Students with Hong Kong nationality are exempt from the Nuffic Certificate requirement).

Do I need a Nuffic Certificate?

Chinese students wishing to enrol in an English-taught programme at a Dutch higher education institution are required to have a Nuffic Certificate. Once issued, Nuffic sends this certificate directly to the relevant Dutch higher education institution. The institution will then forward the certificate to the Dutch immigration authorities when applying for the student's entry visa.

Please note that the need for a Nuffic Certificate does not influence the regular admission procedures of Dutch higher education institutions.

Why are there additional application criteria?

To ensure that students are qualified for their studies and to enhance their chances of success in the Netherlands, Nuffic carries out an assessment of the language and educational credentials of Chinese applicants.

The IELTS test (International English Language Testing System) Academic module or the TOEFL-iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language-internet based test) is used to assess the applicant's English language skills. To qualify for a Nuffic Certificate, applicants' test score should meet the criteria of the institute or programme they are applying to.

NB. The Master's programmes of the Faculty of Humanities only accept IELTS scores at the moment.

The student entry visa application (MVV procedure)

The Nuffic Certificate requirement forms part of the Netherlands' visa application procedure. If you wish to study in the Netherlands for more than 90 days, you must have an entry visa (Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblijf or MVV). The University of Amsterdam applies to the Dutch visa authority for the MVV on your behalf. This requires the University to submit the Nuffic Certificate to the Dutch visa authority.

Taking the English proficiency test and getting the Nuffic Certificate can be time consuming, so it is advisable to start the process early.

The vast majority of students have no trouble getting a student visa for the Netherlands.