For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
You are using a browser that is no longer supported by Microsoft. Please upgrade your browser. The site may not present itself correctly if you continue browsing.

Information for refugees

Applying to a Bachelor's or Master's programme as a refugee

Refugees wishing to study at the University of Amsterdam (UvA) follow the same application procedure as all prospective UvA students who come from outside the European Union. 

Be sure to state whether you are interested in a Bachelor's or Master's programme, your prior education, if you have already obtained any diplomas (and if so, which ones) and the languages in which you are proficient.

If you are not able to submit proof of the diplomas you hold, please make sure to contact us far in advance of the application deadline of your programme so we can explore your options.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How can I finance my study?
    1. If you are taking a Dutch language course, you can apply for a loan through DUO, which is part of the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science. Find out more about financing your integration into the Netherlands through DUO:
      Pay for Dutch language course through DUO loan
    2. Once you are enrolled in a university programme, you are entitled to financial support through DUO (if you are below the age of 30).
      Student finance (DUO) - in English
      Student finance (DUO) - in Dutch
      • DUO student loans can cover your tuition fees, travel costs and some extra expenses. If you are doing a preparatory program or have other expenses not covered by DUO, UAF might be able to provide you with financial support. Contact your personal UAF study adviser for more information.
    3. Starting in September 2017, a tuition fee loan will also be available for students over the age of 30.
      Apply for a tuition fee loan via DUO
    4. Do you want to know more about the financial options available to you? Or do you have unanswered questions about financial aid? You can contact one of the UvA student counsellors.
      Contact a UvA Student Counsellor