Conditions and deadlines
- Once you have been admitted to your study programme at the University of Amsterdam (UvA), you will need to start your application for a residence permit (in this case called an application for the Change in the purpose of stay). The UvA will process the application for the residence permit for the purpose of study on your behalf.
- It is therefore not necessary to contact the Dutch Immigration Service (IND) yourself unless you intend to request a residence permit for purposes other than study (e.g. family reunification).
- Please note that although the UvA assists you with residency formalities by processing your application, your legal residency remains your own responsibility.
- Your Change in the purpose of stay application needs to be approved before the start of your programme. In order to start your programme in September 2020 your need to submit your application before 1 August. Please note that the UvA cannot guarantee that a Change in the purpose of stay request will be granted by a certain date, or at all.
50% Minimum Threshold
- By law you need to obtain at least 50% of the credits of your study programme each year. If you do not attain the 50% threshold, the UvA will verify whether there is an excusable reason for you to be exempted from the threshold.
- If you are not exempted, the UvA has to inform the IND and your student residence permit will be withdrawn.
The cost for an application Change in the purpose of stay is €195. This fee is non-refundable
You will need to upload the following documents before we can submit the Change in the purpose of stay application on your behalf:
- A valid passport (which needs to be valid for at least 6 months after the start of the semester)
- Proof of financial means:
- Funds to finance your stay in the Netherlands - this amount does not include your tuition fee
- Funds to finance your tuition fee - not applicable to exchange students
- Antecedents certificate - the form needs to be signed by hand (not digitally).
Validity of your new residence permit
Your new residence permit for the purpose of study will be issued for the duration of the nominal study programme plus three months. Please note that the nominal duration of a study programme is three years for a Bachelor’s programme and one or two years for a Master’s programme.