For your immigration application, the IND requires you to submit certain documents. On this page, we'll walk you through the process of documents you need to submit. Please ensure that you give yourself enough time to arrange all the required financial proof documentation, as this is often the most challenging part of the immigration process.
1. A copy of your valid passport
- Your passport needs to be signed. This is not required for minors (18 years or younger)
- It needs to be valid for at least 6 months after the start date of your study programme
- MVV students: scan all pages of your passport, including the empty ones
- VVR students: scan only the personal page of your passport, making sure to include the signature
2. Antecedents certificate
- Download the Antecedents certificate form (pdf)
- The form needs to be signed by hand, not digitally
- The signature needs to be identical to the one in your passport
3. Nuffic certificate (only applicable to Chinese students)
For more information, please visit the Nuffic website.
4. Financial proof
The IND, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service of the Netherlands, requires you to provide us with financial proof showing that you have sufficient financial means for the duration of your study programme.
Calculate your required financial means:
I’m an exchange student
Exchange students are required to show proof of sufficient living expenses for the duration of their programme. This amount is equal to €935 x the amount of months you will be studying.
- For a 1-semester exchange a minimum amount of €4,675 (e.x. 5 months x €935) is required.
- For a Full-year exchange a minimum of €9,350 (e.x. 10 months x €935) is required. Please read further below for the various options on how to prove this.
I’m a degree student
Are you enrolled in a regular Bachelor’s or Master’s, OnCampus or Pre-master’s programme? Then you should make sure to have sufficient funds to cover your living expenses for a period of 12 months: a minimum amount of €935 per month, a total of €11,220 in addition to your tuition fees.
If you have already paid your tuition fees, please upload proof of the transfer of your tuition fees to the UvA bank account.
Ways to show financial proof
The following options are ways through which you can submit your financial proof:
- Own financial means
You will need to upload a scholarship letter confirming that the scholarship has been granted to you. Please check out our criteria.
Someone is sponsoring me
You will need to upload the following documents:
A. The sponsor's support statement (pdf). Please make sure your sponsor ticks all the required boxes on the form.
B. A scan of your sponsor's signed passport
C. Proof that your sponsor is financially in the position to sponsor you: you will need to upload a bank statement and/or account statement from a bank account held in your sponsor's name.
We cannot accept a Company as a Sponsor. The sponsor’s bank statement needs to be from a personal account in their name.
Transfer living expenses into the account of the UvA
Please upload the proof of transfer to the UvA bank account in your application in the form of a bank statement or screenshot of the transaction with the transaction details.
Your living expenses will be transferred back into your Dutch bank account. Therefore, you'll have to open a Dutch bank account once you arrive in the Netherlands and have registered at a municipality.
Please download the pdf with Transfer instructions to the UvA.