For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
You are using a browser that is no longer supported by Microsoft. Please upgrade your browser. The site may not present itself correctly if you continue browsing.

European Health Insurance

If you are not employed, and you are a citizen from the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you can apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

All international students are required by law to have appropriate health insurance for the duration of their stay in the Netherlands. Please check before you come to the Netherlands whether your insurance will cover the complete period of your stay abroad, and what type of coverage it consists of.

If you are in the Netherlands for study purposes only, you can take out Private health insurance or European Health Insurance (EHIC). If you start a (part-time) job or if you start an internship that pays at least the Dutch minimum wage, you are required to take out a Dutch basic health insurance.

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

You can obtain the European Health Insurance Card free of charge by contacting your local health authority.


  • EHIC will cover the costs for essential basic health care and emergency health care, for example: General Practitioner, Maternity care, Hospital care.
  • EHIC gives limited coverage for medical expenses.
  • An EHIC does not cover dental costs if you are over 18. Ensure your health insurance company at home covers dental care costs abroad, or take out supplemental medical insurance, including dental care.

Period of coverage

Please check if you are covered for the whole period of your stay in the Netherlands. The university is not responsible for you taking sufficient coverage.

Supplemental medical insurance for EU students

Before deciding about supplemental insurance, please always check your insurance coverage in your home country first. Will they cover the complete period of your stay abroad? And what type of coverage does it consist of? You are advised to take out supplemental medical insurance to cover the medical (and dental) care costs that the EHIC does not cover.

You can take out supplemental medical insurance at a private insurance company, such as AON Student Insurance.


If you have any questions about the EHIC coverage or reimbursement of medical costs, please contact Zilveren Kruis through their website or call + 31 (0)71 751 0052.