Some(times) insurances are required, some are advised.
You are required by law to have appropriate health insurance for the duration of your stay in the Netherlands. Please check before you come to the Netherlands whether your insurance will cover the complete period of your stay abroad, and what type of coverage it consists of. If you do not take out health insurance, you risk having to pay a penalty plus a fine.
You are advised to take out appropriate general third-party insurance (liability insurance). If you are a non-EEA/EU student requesting a residence permit through the UvA, a liability insurance is required.
Collective insurances of the UvA
The UvA has taken out the following insurances for students (and staff). In the event of an emergency or for further information on insurance policy conditions, please contact Mr Peter Wurtz, email@example.com.
Group accident insurance
All executive staff members, lecturers, other members of staff and students at the UvA, provided they live in the Netherlands and are under the age of 70, who are listed in the relevant records. This insurance only covers accidents suffered by the insured parties during:
- Travel to and from UvA buildings, including the corresponding sites, and during time spent at these locations.
- All excursions and/or activities organised by the UvA in the Netherlands and abroad, provided that these are supervised by academic staff or people designated by the UvA.
- Internships (cover starts at the time the insured party leaves his or her home/temporary residence to travel via the shortest route to the internship location and ends as soon as he or she returns to his or her home/temporary residence via the shortest route).
All visiting lecturers, interns and PhD students under the age of 70 who are listed in the relevant records. This insurance only covers accidents suffered by the insured parties during:
- Their presence on the UvA site and travel to and from the workplace (cover starts at the time the insured party leaves his or her home/temporary residence to travel via the shortest route to the workplace and ends as soon as he or she returns to his or her home/temporary residence via the shortest route).
- All organised study-related excursions and/or activities outside the UvA site, provided that these are supervised by a professor or adults designated by the UvA.
The following applies to foreign insured parties:
underwriters are entitled to arrange for any permanent disability to be assessed in the Netherlands, whereby any travel costs incurred by the insured party will not be borne by the insurer; any loss or damage must be reported prior to departure from the Netherlands and settled as far as possible; any loss or damage following departure will not be processed; all correspondence relating to claim settlement must take place via the policyholder in the Netherlands.
All participants in open days organised by the UvA whose names are listed in the relevant records. This insurance only covers accidents suffered by insured parties during their presence in UvA buildings or defined sites.
- €5,000 in the event of death - to the insured party's spouse or legal heir,
- €50,000 in the event of permanent total disability.
Collective group travel insurance
- travel luggage (max. € 5,000)
- legal assistance (within Europe: cost price, outside Europe: max. € 5,000)
- medical expenses (cost price, only in Japan, US and Canada max. € 125,000). Extraordinary expenses such as additional travel and accommodation expenses, assistance from emergency services and rescue, repatriation and transport costs are also reimbursed at cost price. The insurance provides international cover
This insurance also includes an accident section; this cover is secondary to the cover under the group accident insurance.
Should circumstances occur between the time of booking and travel that require you to postpone or even cancel a trip, the travel agency will impose charges that may amount to as much as the total travel costs. With the cancellation insurance, the total travel costs due will be reimbursed should you cancel the entire trip.
If delays (such as on arrival) or other circumstances force you to cut short or interrupt your trip, you will be compensated for the holiday days not taken.
The cancellation insurance is part of the collective group travel insurance taken out for the UvA. In short, the cancellation insurance provides the following cover: reimbursement of cancellation charges, unused travel days and for delays at departure or arrival.
The following events are insured:
- serious illness, accident or death of yourself or your fellow travellers
- death or serious illness of relatives once or twice removed
- urgent need for care of immediate relatives once removed
- involuntary unemployment following permanent employment
- if an essential vaccination cannot be obtained for medical reasons
- fire or burglary damage to the insured party's property requiring him or her to return home
- unexpected acquisition of rented accommodation
- unexpected failure to obtain a visa
To report cancellation charges, complete the claim form (Schadeformulier annuleringsverzekering, only in Dutch) below and send it to Mr P. Wurtz You can also contact Mr. Wurtz if you have questions or if you want more information.
Claim form (Schadeformulier annuleringsverzekering)