For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!

Study delay

Falling behind schedule in your studies

Have you fallen behind schedule in your studies as a result of personal circumstances? Are or were the circumstances outside your control? If so, you can apply to the UvA for financial aid from the Profiling Fund (Profileringsfonds). In some cases, it is also possible to apply to DUO for an extension to your student grant.

What is the definition of study delay as a result of circumstances outside your control?

Falling behind schedule in your studies as a result of circumstances outside your control is defined as obtaining less than 60 ECTS in the academic year in which the circumstances arose or occurred. Examples of personal circumstances include:

What can you do in case of study delay as a result of circumstances outside your control

  1. Contact your study adviser, no later than three months after the circumstances in question have arisen. Discuss your study schedule and the progress you have made with the study adviser. Together, you work out what your best course of action is:
    1. adjust your study schedule;
    2. engage extra support;
    3. or temporary terminating your enrolment.
  2. In some cases, you may be eligible for financial support. The preconditions for this are shown below. If you meet the preconditions, complete the ‘Melding studievertraging’ form (you can request one from your study adviser) and make an appointment to see a student counsellor.

Financial aid in the event of falling behind schedule in your studies

There are various types of financial aid available. Depending on your situation and the length of time by which you have fallen behind schedule, you and the student counsellor together look at what type of support is most appropriate for you.

Conditions for financial support

To be eligible for financial support, you must meet the following conditions:

Personal circumstances

  • The circumstances that caused the study delay are serious and personal.
  • You can prove that there was actually an illness or exceptional family circumstances, for example by means of a statement from your family doctor/GP, specialist or psychologist.

Arrangements with your study adviser or student counsellor

  • You have informed the study adviser within three months after the particular circumstances started or occurred.
  • You have carefully followed the arrangements drawn up with your study adviser, for example interim termination of enrolment and stopping student grants and loans.

Study delay

  • The study programme at the UvA is the first Bachelor’s or Master’s programme you are enrolled in. Please note that previous education in other countries are taken into account as well.
  • You are in the so-called ‘nominal’ phase of the programme (3 years Bachelor’s or 1 or 2 years Master’s)
  • You were enrolled as a full-time student during the delay
  • You have obtained less than 60 EC (and more than 30 EC)
  • The delay is at least 5 ECTs (1 month) for the whole academic year.
  • You pay your tuition fees at the UvA.

Amount of financial support

For UvA students who do not have Dutch student finance, the financial compensation is set at an amount of €275 per month of the delay, with a maximum of 6 months per academic year.

How are applications for financial aid dealt with?

If you meet the preconditions, you should make an appointment with the student counsellor.

  1. Plan your appointment for between September and December, as soon as the academic year in which you have fallen behind schedule has ended.
  2. Take your completed ‘Melding studievertraging’ form, including any additional documents that are needed, to the appointment.
  3. Together with the student counsellor, you examine what type of financial aid you are eligible for, and then submit your application.
  4. A committee of student counsellors will then rule on how far behind schedule you have fallen in your studies. They will also decide on the level of financial aid.
  5. If your application is accepted, you will receive a statement to that effect and the financial aid will be paid to you in the following month.

How and where do you request financial support?

Make an appointment with the Student counsellors no later than 31 December of the academic year in which the exceptional circumstances occurred. You must also fill in the form Request for financial support before 31 December (the form itself plus the required attachments).